Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
jg jg is offline

Default NZ function equivalent in Excel

If I'm not mistaken, this is better than what I had started with, but still
requires both a table scan and a separate aggregation. However, given my
version limitation (Office 2003), may be the best solution short of keeping
the custom formula.

Thanks Mama!
jg

"Teethless mama" wrote:

Try this:

=IF(COUNTIF(M1:M30,A1),VLOOKUP(A1,M1:N30,2,0),0)

"jg" wrote:

Does Excel have an equivalent to the Access function NZ? I want to avoid
having to perform a double VLOOKUP (one to determine if the value is
non-numeric/non-existant, the second to pull the actual value in the event it
is numeric).
E.g:
=IF(ISERROR(VLOOKUP(A1,M1:N30,2,FALSE)),0,VLOOKUP( A1,M1:N30,2,FALSE))

I've written a custom function to address it, but would rather not have
users with high security levels blocked from using the function.

For reference, the function I built is here (yes, it's not an exact
match...but it does what I need for now):

<snip
Public Function NZ(CellVal As Variant) As Variant

Select Case VarType(CellVal)
Case vbError
NZ = 0
Case vbInteger, vbLong, vbDouble, vbSingle, vbCurrency, vbDecimal, vbByte
NZ = CellVal
Case Else
NZ = "#WRONG_TYPE"
End Select

End Function
</snip

...such that the equivalent to the above is:
=NZ(VLOOKUP(A1,M1:N30,2,FALSE))

Thanks!