Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Toppers Toppers is offline

Default calculate the difference between negative and positive values

When I went to school:

100-(-200)=100+200=300

[If it was $100 dollars less it would be 0 (zero) this month]

so I contend the difference is $300 so the formula is:

=A1-B1 A1=Last month, B1=This Month

For your second question, try:

=IF(B1-A1<0,ABS(B1-A1) & " less",IF(B1-A10,B1-A1 & " more",B1-A1))

A1/B1 as above

HTH

"watty" wrote:

I need to show the difference between costings for last month, compared
with this month.

For example, last month a particular costing showed a profit of $100.
This month is showing a loss of -$200. I need to show that this month
the difference between the costings is therefore -$100, or, $100
dollars less than last month.

Can anyone offer me the formula to do this?

Sneaky second question!... it would be useful to display, in the above
example, "$100 less", rather than "-$100". Can this be done?

Many thanks