Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
HEK

Default How to make a Line Chart with shaded uncertainty band

Thank you, Andy! I guess I can work it out now. I think I can keep the
gridlines with a transparent overlay chart but will have to figure it out.
Henk

"Andy Pope" wrote:

Hi,

You can create the shading by using dummy data plotted as an area chart.
See here for some examples.

http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/...f.html#XYArea2
http://www.andypope.info/ngs/ng21.htm

You will not be able to get the transparent effect you need though,
unless you use a shape to provide the fill. See Jon Peltier's page to this.
http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/VBAdraw.html

Cheers
Andy

HEK wrote:
In scenarios, the forecasted values often have a higher uncertainty the
further they are in the future (like a weather forecast). I would like to
show this "uncertainty band" in a line chart. Of course this can be done by
graphing two extra lines for optimistic and pessimistic values, or for any
limit values, but I would like to shade the area between these upper and
lower limits, preferably by a transparent colour so gridlines are still
visible. Anyone with an idea how to do this?
Thanks for your help,
Henk

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel