Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Heidi

Default How do I find a % difference between two numbers (comparing 2005 .

Steve,

If you have 2004 in column A, and 2005 values in column B, your formula (in
column C) should look like:

=(B2-A2)/A2

The error you are getting from Excel when you have a zero in the 2004
column is because mathematically, you can't take a % of zero.

So, if you had 0 crimes in 2004 and 3 in 2005, you mathematically can't do
a % change on that. What you could say instead is that there were 3 more
crimes in 2005 than 2004.

Good luck. Hope most of your numbers are negative!

Heidi

"Officer Steve" wrote:

How do I find the percent difference between two numbers. I am working in a
police department and am comparing our last year 2004 stats to our 2005
stats. I want to use 2005 as the baseline and show either a % increase or %
decrease to 2004 stats. Sometimes I have a zero which throws the forumlas
I've used off.

I would sure appreciate any help on this matter.

Thanks.