Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Biff

Default Can you use a formula to make a truly "blank" cell

Hi!

Try this:

=if(A1<50,#N/A,A1)

That'll keep your chart from getting messed up but the downside is that
you'll have #N/A's in some cells.

You can hide them with conditional formatting, though.

Select the cell(s)
Goto FormatConditional Formatting
Formula is: ISNA(cell_reference)
Click the Format button
Set the font color to be the same as the fill color
OK out.

Biff

"Heidi" wrote in message
I have a setup that (simplified slightly) looks like:

A1: 20
B1: =if(A1<50,"",A1)
C1: =isblank(B1)

C1: produces "false". Why? Isn't "" supposed to put "nothing" into a
cell?

The point of all this: I want the cell to be truly blank, so that it
doesn't
graph as a "zero" in a chart. (Yes, I have the option under ToolsOptions
checked, so that blank values are not plotted as zeros.) However, it is
graphing my "not quite blank" cells, generated by the above formula, as
zeros. It does skip truly blank values (if I delete the formula
altogether),
but doesn't when I try to force blank values using a formula like this.

Any ideas how to get a formula to make a cell think it is blank?

Thank you,

Heidi