Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Nak

Default missing cell borders in Excel

To: justloseit in Excel General
missing cell borders in Excel
20:00 07-Mar-06

Back again. 3rd visit today. As I said, not very well versed in Excel. My
Excel
Edit menu no have "select all". It does have a "clear" and then "all",
"Formats",
etc., on sub-menu.

"Format" also no help. If click "outline" nothing happens - tho' I can
clearly see
the cell border being created in the preview pane. Same for selecting any
individual
border (this part is all similar to MS Word, so don't think I'm screwing up
here).
This is getting stranger and stranger. In "Format", "Protection", the "lock"
box
was ticked. I unticked it to check but made no dif.

Let me add a few more observations. The actual 'working area' where the data
is
shown neatly lined up in the cells and columns, also has a few rows where the
'written' data extends into the adjacent cell. There is no border between
those
2 cells either but if I click in those 2 cells, each cell gets the heavy black
cursor outline (just as with the problem cells she pointed out to me).

This again indicated to me that these are not 'merged' cells but separate,
autonomous cells - except that there's no border between them (but what do
"I"
know about it all).

This situation is the same for about 30% of the rows for columns D & E in the
'working area'. In most rows stretching across these columns, all the cells
have
complete border type outlines, when viewed in the regular 'working view';
except
that the row borders are dimmed. The 'border line' between columns D & E is
also
dimmed (I can understand that).

The written data needs that extra space in that 2nd cell in col E, so that
the
full sentence can be seen. So the sentence extends from column D thru p/o
col E.
There are no figures anywhere in column D or E. The figures are all in
column F.

I should say that all the columns in this data section (actually looks like a
Word Table) have borders (except for the 'dimmed' border between D & E); but
the rows do not. The row borders are dimmed and I can see in both "Format"
and "Print Preview" that there are no "real" border lines for the rows -
except for top and bottom of the 'Table'.

The 'non-working' area right next to this 'Table' is totally blank in 'Print
Preview'. So I find it odd that this lady here was so concerned and raising
cain
over a few missing cell borders in this superfluous area, in the "working
view",
where one could see the dimmed cell outlines (which were not "real" borders
in the first place).

Really odd. Really odd. I do not know what game she is playing but she knows
that I don't know anything about Excel - though I am now slowly starting to
fathom a bit of it.

Somewhere in the distant past I recall someone showing me how to extend data
in this type Excel 'spreadsheet' so that it is fully visible instead of
truncated within a single cell in a column. So me thinks this is a quite
normal
thing and easily done (or undone) by any Excel user. But to me, it's all a
great
mystery.

I hope this clarifies things a bit better. Hopefully you can advise some more.

-----
Nak

--
Nak

"Justloseit" wrote:

if you can click on the cell and it highlights all the merged cells
then click the merge and center button on the toolbar to unmerge them.
LoL sorry I forgot that