Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
hennie

Default Moving data labels around with VBA (and adding a line between two

Good day,

I think what you are looking for is what I use to control the chart
from Access when I export data. Change the source data, for series 1
to what ever to something similar to your legend as it is easier to
work with. Running a macro would give you something similar to my code
and there is a few options of where to place the lable.

I have had a little problem to display both the legend or
identification line and the value in the same block and that is why
there is two sections and it is display as a line chart.

With Source data you can change the series to a name.

With ActiveChart
With ActiveChart.Axes(xlValue)
.MinimumScale = 30
.MaximumScale = 170
.MinorUnit = 1
' .MajorUnitIsAuto = True
'.Crosses = xlCustom
.CrossesAt = 30
.ReversePlotOrder = False
'.ScaleType = xlLinear

End With

With .SeriesCollection("Upper Control Limit").Points(19)
.HasDataLabel = True
.DataLabel.Text = " Upper Control Limit ="
.DataLabel.Font.Size = 7
.DataLabel.Font.Italic = True
.DataLabel.HorizontalAlignment = xlRight
.DataLabel.VerticalAlignment = xlTop
.DataLabel.Position = xlLabelPositionAbove
.DataLabel.Orientation = xlHorizontal
End With

With .SeriesCollection("Upper Control Limit").Points(24)
.HasDataLabel = True
' .DataLabel.Text = "Upper Control Limit = 2.3"
.DataLabel.Font.Size = 7
.DataLabel.Font.Italic = True
.DataLabel.HorizontalAlignment = xlRight
.DataLabel.VerticalAlignment = xlTop
.DataLabel.Position = xlLabelPositionAbove
.DataLabel.Orientation = xlHorizontal
End With

I hope this helps

Hennie
Caro-Kann Defence wrote:
*Hello.

I am looking for a way to manage data labels in an automated
charting
procedure I am writing.

The chart is a waterfall chart (I believe) and I'd like to be able to
loop
through each dataseries/column to find the height of the total column
and
then set the label for the total column to sit x points above it.

There is a second issue I need help with. As the chart displays
components
of return for stocks and bonds, I'd like to place a line in between
the last
stock and the first bond shown. Is there a way that I can place this
line
dynamically (charts will like have different numbers of stocks and
bonds - as
will a particular chart over time).

I think there is an add-in someone mentioned I could try downloading
but I'd
like to avoid that if possible.

Thanks,
Caro-Kann Defence *