Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
ed ed is offline

Default HOW DO I MAKE A BIG X APPEAR IN A CELL THAT IS NOT IN USE?

On Jul 4, 11:16 am, FABIC wrote:
I WANT A BIG X OR SLASH/ TO APPEAR IN PLACE FOR WHEN I'M NOT USING A CELL FOR
DATA...HOW TO DO THIS???

Type an X or whatever you want in an unused cell. Use Fomat/Font to
make it as big as you want. Copy it to the other unused cells. When
you enter data in the cell the big X will be replaced with the data.

More appropriate would be to use Conditional Formatting. Type the
following formula in the Conditional formula space in cell B2 =B2=""
and then choose bright red, or light blue or solid black for a
pattern. Using the format brush, copy B2 to all the cells you want
so indicated. The advantage to Conditional Formatting is that when
you erase the data the pattern format will return.

ed