PutFormula

Default put formula results into a different cell if it is empty

It seem that everything is designed with the cell containing a formula as the
destination for the results of the formula. I want to populate a different
cell based on the results of a formula. For instance I have a formula in cell
A1 that checks cell B1, if it is empty (null) I want to give it the value
contained in C1. If B1 contains data I want to leave it alove. I can't put
the formula in cell B1 because if I enter any data into it I replace the
formula. How can I do this. I'm sure that I just don't have the right
vocabulary to figure out the function name (e.g. It took me a while to find
the indirect function because I was thinking of the terms "GET" etc. and not
"indirect") Thanks