Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
rsenn

Default To Rank on two Criteria

Gee, thanks. I've rarely had such a response.

Your method probably will work in practice. Using the reciprical of GP
wass a nice touch to convert the numbers from low to high into high to
low.

That there is a high correlation between your GP and AV numbers is
pretty obvious, but it is not perfect, so presumably you could have
something like this.

In the original data there is
GP AV Rank
1.88*****74.3*****4
1.88*****73.6*****5

If you change the first 1.88 to 1.87 (an improvement) and the 73.6 to
75 (also an improvement), then the proposed method would rank these as
5 and 4, when I think you would still want them to be 4 and 5.

That was the reason for multiplying by a big number, to keep the
relative weights of the two numbers separate. You could do the same
with your reciprical method (which I like) and it would work just fine.

--
rsenn
rsenn's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=29050