Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben Gord Dibben is offline

Default What is the difference between merge and centre and merge across

Merge and center merges the entire block of selected cells into one cell.

Select A1:F5 and merge and center and see what you get.

Merge across will merge each row of selected cells into one cell.

Select A1:F5 and merge across and see what occurs.

BUT............I would suggest you don't bother learning the difference between
the two functions.

Better to ignore any type of cell merging and never use it.

Merged cells was the dumbest feature ever come up with.

Creates no end of problems with copying, pasting, sorting, filtering,
autofitting and a host of other functions.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Sat, 13 Oct 2007 06:55:04 -0700, Jabu wrote:

There are two commands in the excel 2007 Alignment group - 'merge and centre'
and also 'merge across'. I cannot see the difference in the two commands and
the help file doesn't explain the difference. Can anyone help please?

Thanks
Ingrid