Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Default make 2007 the default when opening Excel files

I have both Office 03 and 07 installed - 07 was installed last and for the
last year it has been my default when double clicking on a file to open it.
For some reason this morning my system decided I no longer needed to use 07
and now everything opens in 03 when trying to open Excel files (all other
Office apps work fine and open in 07).

I saw a lot of Q&A on making 03 the default and tried to backward engineer
it so that 07 is the default but nothing is working.

Any thoughts on why it would stop working all of a sudden and what I can do
to fix it without having to completely reinstall or bite the bullet and
remove 03 all together?

thanks much
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Since 2003 has decided it wants to be the default, de-register 2003 and
re-register 2007

Close Excel first and On the Windows Taskbar

StartRun "C:\yourpathto2003\excel.exe" /unregserver

See the space between exe and /unregserver.

Then register 2007

StartRun "C:\yourpathto2007\excel.exe" /regserver

This process should make Excel 2007 the default for opening files.

You may not have to unregister 2003 first but I err on the side of
caution<g

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP