Bill Ridgeway

Default Searching for "?"

It seems that Excel is unable to find the character ?. It stops at every
cell.

Are there any other characters which it can't find and, more importantly how
can Excel be persuaded to search for "?" ?

Thanks.

Bill Ridgeway
Computer Solutions

Niek Otten

Search for "~?"

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten

Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Bill Ridgeway" wrote in message
It seems that Excel is unable to find the character ?. It stops at every
cell.

Are there any other characters which it can't find and, more importantly
how can Excel be persuaded to search for "?" ?

Thanks.

Bill Ridgeway
Computer Solutions

Bill Ridgeway

Niek,

Many thanks for that. But why should I know that to search for "?" I must
type in "~?". (Are there any others like this?) It seems most illogical
and counter intuitive. Is there a valid reason for this or is this another
example of Microsoft being inconsistent? (Why click on start when you want
to turn off the computer? rhetoric.)

Regards.

Bill Ridgeway
Computer Solutions

"Niek Otten" wrote in message
Search for "~?"

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten

Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Bill Ridgeway" wrote in message
It seems that Excel is unable to find the character ?. It stops at every
cell.

Are there any other characters which it can't find and, more importantly
how can Excel be persuaded to search for "?" ?

Thanks.

Bill Ridgeway
Computer Solutions

Niek Otten

From HELP:

You can use wildcard characters such as an asterisk (*) or a question mark
(?) in your search criteria:

Use the asterisk to find any string of characters. For example, s*d finds
"sad" and "started".

Use the question mark to find any single character. For example, s?t finds
"sat" and "set".

Note You can find asterisks, question marks, and tilde characters (~) in
worksheet data by preceding them with a tilde character in the Find what
box. For example, to find data that contains "?", you would type ~? as your
search criteria.

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten

Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Bill Ridgeway" wrote in message
Niek,

Many thanks for that. But why should I know that to search for "?" I must
type in "~?". (Are there any others like this?) It seems most illogical
and counter intuitive. Is there a valid reason for this or is this
another example of Microsoft being inconsistent? (Why click on start when
you want to turn off the computer? rhetoric.)

Regards.

Bill Ridgeway
Computer Solutions

"Niek Otten" wrote in message