Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default what is "fill handle". i don't see any fill handle in my excel

what is "fill handle". i don't see any fill handle in my excel. can any one
guide me in the usage of this fill handle please? And also can anyone tell
how to get the numbers in series please

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

The "fill handle" is the small square at the bottom right-hand corner of a
cell. If you hover the cursor over it the cursor will change into black
crosshairs - don't be confused with the four headed arrow cursor that you
get when on the edge of a cell, that will actually move the cell cot copy
the formula. With the blackbcrosshairs showing, left click and drag in the
direction you wish.

--
HTH

Sandy
and the crowning place of kings

"Neelakanta" wrote in message
what is "fill handle". i don't see any fill handle in my excel. can any
one
guide me in the usage of this fill handle please? And also can anyone tell
how to get the numbers in series please

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Thank u for the quick reply. But can u also teach me how easily to fill the
numbers in the columuns please.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

If you mean a series of numbers like 1, 2, 3, 4 etc then put 1 in the first
cell, 2 in the second and highlight both and drag down or along as the case
may be on the fill handle of the 2nd cell.

If you mean copy the formula in the first cell to a range then with a
formula - say =A1+B1 then simply drag down on the fill hande. The formula
will index uplike:

=A1+B1
=A2+B2
=A3+B3

If you want one of the cells to remain constant - say in this example the
cell A1 then make it an absolute reference like:

=$A$1+B1
=$A$1+B2
=$A$1+B13

If this is not what you want then post back with more details for what you
are trying to do.

--
HTH

Sandy
and the crowning place of kings

"Neelakanta" wrote in message
Thank u for the quick reply. But can u also teach me how easily to fill
the
numbers in the columuns please.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Thanks Sandy for replying soon. The things that u have described in the
privious post are familiar to me. The question is that without dragging the
"Fill paddle" how can i easily fill the numbers.(e.g. if i need to drag about
7000 numbers then it takes time. Isn't it? )in this case the easy thing is
that choose the entire column suppose "A" enter no. 1 and then go to edit-
fill- series- here type the desired stop value and press enter. that's it!
u will get the numbers until the specified stop value. But this works only
if u select the entire row . i need this feature to be worked in the middle
of the row also ........... can u help me please.........
Thanks in Advance.
Regards
Neelakanta

"Sandy Mann" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

If you select the first cell then do a Goto and enter the last cell that you
want then press and hold the Shift key while you press the OK button on the
Goto dialog box then the range that you want will be highlighted.

--

"Sandy Mann" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi Neelakanta,

Maybe this is what you are looking for.

Type A25:A7000 in the name box and then tap enter,
(the range A25:A7000 will be highlighted)
Type 1 and tap enter,
(A25 will show 1 and A26 will become the active cell)
Then go to EditFillSeries set your options and tap OK

HTH
Martin

"Sandy Mann" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi,

Sandy's way is simpler, although they are basically the same, anyway
try it like this,
Click in the Name box and type A25:A65 and hit enter.
Type 50 and hit enter
go to EditFillSeries and tap OK

A25:A65 will show the numbers 50 to 90
incrementing by 1 each time.

HTH
Marin

"Sandy Mann" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Thank u Sandy and Martin. Actually i tried this but i made a mistake while
implementing . Any way thank u ............ to both of u. I will be
glad if both of u can give ur personal e mail id's so that we can share many
things abt computers.
hoping u will...........
My e- mail id is
Regards.........
Neelakanta.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi Neelakanta,

Glad to hear you got it sorted out.

As for personal emails, you will get far greater help
from these newsgroups than any one person can offer.

Regards
Martin

"Neelakanta" wrote in message

Thank u Sandy and Martin. Actually i tried this but i made a mistake while
implementing . Any way thank u ............ to both of u. I will be
glad if both of u can give ur personal e mail id's so that we can share
many
things abt computers.
hoping u will...........
My e- mail id is
Regards.........
Neelakanta.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi, I'm trying to do the same type of thing only numbering in triplicate. Is
this possible using the fill series. It is adding an extra cell every 3rd
record. I need the database to read 1,1,1,2,2,2,3,3,3 etc Can this be done?

"MartinW" wrote:

Hi Neelakanta,

Glad to hear you got it sorted out.

As for personal emails, you will get far greater help
from these newsgroups than any one person can offer.

Regards
Martin

"Neelakanta" wrote in message

Thank u Sandy and Martin. Actually i tried this but i made a mistake while
implementing . Any way thank u ............ to both of u. I will be
glad if both of u can give ur personal e mail id's so that we can share
many
things abt computers.
hoping u will...........
My e- mail id is
Regards.........
Neelakanta.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

YEA!!!!!!!!!THANK YOU!!!!
Wish I sould have discovered this group a couple days ago :)

"Sandy Mann" wrote:

Enter a number 1 in your start cell - I used A4 but any cell will work for
the formula. Then in the cell below enter the formula:

=A4+1-(MOD(ROW()-ROW($A$4),3)<0)

Now highlight the range from A5 in my case to the end cell that you want
using one of the methods already mentioned in this thread and then select
Edit Fill down

--

"MartinW" wrote:

Hi Neelakanta,

Glad to hear you got it sorted out.

As for personal emails, you will get far greater help
from these newsgroups than any one person can offer.

Regards
Martin

"Neelakanta" wrote in message

Thank u Sandy and Martin. Actually i tried this but i made a mistake
while
implementing . Any way thank u ............ to both of u. I will
be
glad if both of u can give ur personal e mail id's so that we can share
many
things abt computers.
hoping u will...........
My e- mail id is

Regards.........
Neelakanta.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Another technique you can adapt to suit your needs,

Put 1 in A1
Highlight A1 to A3
Grab the fill handle and drag to A30
Tap F5
Click Special
Check Blanks and OK
Type =
Tap the up arrow
Then hit Ctrl+Enter

That technique comes courtesy of Debra Dalgleish at her
excellent Contextures site, see here for that and lots more.

http://www.contextures.com/xlDataEntry02.html

HTH
Martin

"MartinW" wrote:

Hi Neelakanta,

Glad to hear you got it sorted out.

As for personal emails, you will get far greater help
from these newsgroups than any one person can offer.

Regards
Martin

"Neelakanta" wrote in message

Thank u Sandy and Martin. Actually i tried this but i made a mistake
while
implementing . Any way thank u ............ to both of u. I
will
be
glad if both of u can give ur personal e mail id's so that we can
share
many
things abt computers.
hoping u will...........
My e- mail id is

Regards.........
Neelakanta.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi! can anyone tell me the ans for the following questions in excel...........

Assume that there is a student table with the following attributes
Name, stu Id , marks,(Assume that there are 500 students or columns)

Q1. Student name starts with R
Q2. marks which are less than 80
Q3. Marks which are greater than 50
Q4. Student name which has E in their Name?..............

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Are these homework questions?

Q1, Q2 & Q3 can be done using Autofilter Custom

Q4 can be done using a Helper column & Autofilter

--
HTH

Sandy
and the crowning place of kings

"Neelakanta" wrote in message

Hi! can anyone tell me the ans for the following questions in
excel...........

Assume that there is a student table with the following attributes
Name, stu Id , marks,(Assume that there are 500 students or columns)

Q1. Student name starts with R
Q2. marks which are less than 80
Q3. Marks which are greater than 50
Q4. Student name which has E in their Name?..............

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

No Sandy these are not Assignment questions......... just wanted to
know.Thank u

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default captalize the letters in the Particular coloumn

how can i captalise the letters in the particular column of excel worksheet.
can it be done through only excel, but not vb programming.

Thanks in advance.
Regards
Neelakanta

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Without VBA you will need a helper column.

=UPPER(A1)

Copy down as far as needed.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 29 May 2008 08:55:01 -0700, Neelakanta
wrote:

how can i captalise the letters in the particular column of excel worksheet.
can it be done through only excel, but not vb programming.

Thanks in advance.
Regards
Neelakanta

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

hey guys can any one help me?(of course it is not a excel question)
My drives are not openinin. if i double click on my drives an "open with"
window opens. I know that it is a virus. Can u send the free link of the anti
virus software that removes this virus?

Thanks in advance.
Neelakanta.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Sandy, this formula worked great for my last job, but now i need to number in
triplicate starting with 0001 to 1500. Excel eliminates those preceding zeros
and I need them to be there. I have tried to format the cells to text but
then this formula does not work. Can you help me out with this one?

"MartinW" wrote:

Hi Neelakanta,

Glad to hear you got it sorted out.

As for personal emails, you will get far greater help
from these newsgroups than any one person can offer.

Regards
Martin

"Neelakanta" wrote in message

Thank u Sandy and Martin. Actually i tried this but i made a mistake
while
implementing . Any way thank u ............ to both of u. I
will
be
glad if both of u can give ur personal e mail id's so that we can
share
many
things abt computers.
hoping u will...........
My e- mail id is

Regards.........
Neelakanta.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

If it is just for display purposes then Custom format the cells, (Highlight
the calls then select Format Cells Custom ) as 0000 then numbers will
then be displayed with leading zeros if there are fewer digits.

--

"MartinW" wrote:

Hi Neelakanta,

Glad to hear you got it sorted out.

As for personal emails, you will get far greater help
from these newsgroups than any one person can offer.

Regards
Martin

"Neelakanta" wrote in
message

Thank u Sandy and Martin. Actually i tried this but i made a
mistake
while
implementing . Any way thank u ............ to both of u.
will
be
glad if both of u can give ur personal e mail id's so that we can
share
many
things abt computers.
hoping u will...........
My e- mail id is

Regards.........
Neelakanta.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

How about this one... I need to number 0001 to 1500 only in groups of 5. iE:
0001,0002,0003,0004,0005,0751,0752,0753,0754,0755, 0006,0007,0008,0009,0010,0756,0757,0758,0759,0760. ...all
the way to 1500. What formula or fill series will make this work?

"Sandy Mann" wrote:

You are very welcome.

--

Sandy
and the crowning place of kings

"pberg" wrote in message
Thanks again!!!

"MartinW" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

What is the logic in deciding that

0751,0752,0753,0754,0755,

comes between 0001,0002,0003,0004,0005
and 0006,0007,0008,0009,0010 ?

--

"pberg" wrote in message
How about this one... I need to number 0001 to 1500 only in groups of 5.
iE:
0001,0002,0003,0004,0005,0751,0752,0753,0754,0755, 0006,0007,0008,0009,0010,0756,0757,0758,0759,0760. ...all
the way to 1500. What formula or fill series will make this work?

"Sandy Mann" wrote:

You are very welcome.

--

Sandy
and the crowning place of kings

"pberg" wrote in message
Thanks again!!!

"MartinW" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Well, it is a crazy job that I'm numbering in another program and I need the
first five numbers 1-5 lined up on the left side of the page, next sheet is
to have the next five numbers 6-10 all the way to 750. The the other half of
the page will have numbers 751- to 755 on the first sheet. So I'm trying to
print 1-5 and 751 to 755 on the first sheet, 6-10 and 756 to 760 on the
second sheet etc.

"pberg" wrote in message
How about this one... I need to number 0001 to 1500 only in groups of 5.
iE:
0001,0002,0003,0004,0005,0751,0752,0753,0754,0755, 0006,0007,0008,0009,0010,0756,0757,0758,0759,0760. ...all
the way to 1500. What formula or fill series will make this work?

"Sandy Mann" wrote:

You are very welcome.

--

Sandy
and the crowning place of kings

"pberg" wrote in message
Thanks again!!!

"MartinW" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Enter 1-5 in A1:A5 and 751 - 755 in A6:A10

In A11 enter:

=A5+1

In A12 enter:

=A11+1

and drag it down to A15 on the fill handle.

Next as MartinW said:
Type A11:A1500 in the name box and then tap enter,

and:
Then go to Edit Fill Series
and select Autofill and press OK.

Finally while the cells are still highlighted, copy them and then Past
Special Values over the top of the formulas to remove the formulas..

--

"pberg" wrote in message
How about this one... I need to number 0001 to 1500 only in groups of
5.
iE:
0001,0002,0003,0004,0005,0751,0752,0753,0754,0755, 0006,0007,0008,0009,0010,0756,0757,0758,0759,0760. ...all
the way to 1500. What formula or fill series will make this work?

"Sandy Mann" wrote:

You are very welcome.

--

Sandy
and the crowning place of kings

"pberg" wrote in message
Thanks again!!!

"MartinW" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Magic.....thanks again

"pberg" wrote in message
How about this one... I need to number 0001 to 1500 only in groups of
5.
iE:
0001,0002,0003,0004,0005,0751,0752,0753,0754,0755, 0006,0007,0008,0009,0010,0756,0757,0758,0759,0760. ...all
the way to 1500. What formula or fill series will make this work?

"Sandy Mann" wrote:

You are very welcome.

--

Sandy
and the crowning place of kings

"pberg" wrote in message
Thanks again!!!

"MartinW" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

You're welcome. Thanks for taking the time to feed back.

--

Sandy
and the crowning place of kings

"pberg" wrote in message
Magic.....thanks again

"pberg" wrote in message
How about this one... I need to number 0001 to 1500 only in groups
of
5.
iE:
0001,0002,0003,0004,0005,0751,0752,0753,0754,0755, 0006,0007,0008,0009,0010,0756,0757,0758,0759,0760. ...all
the way to 1500. What formula or fill series will make this work?

"Sandy Mann" wrote:

You are very welcome.

--

Sandy
and the crowning place of kings

"pberg" wrote in message
Thanks again!!!

"pberg" wrote in message
YEA!!!!!!!!!THANK YOU!!!!
Wish I sould have discovered this group a couple days ago
:)