Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
dee

Default Hide Blank Rows

Hi there,

Does this make sense?

Situation: Receive database in client format. I insert a key column,
number it sequentially so that I can put it back in order after manipulating
the data. I then add a formula on each row, example:
=IF(COUNTA(b3:m3)=0,"blank row","")

I then sort by this column to put all "blank row" rows together, copy and
paste values into another worksheet, fill in pricing, etc., then copy the
data back into the original worksheet.

After this, I re-sort by the key column, delete the column with the If
statement above and the delete the key column to put the data back as sent.

Does anyone see a problem with doing it this way? I know I can create a VB
macro, but we are trying to avoid this for various reasons.

Thanks!

--
Thanks!

Dee
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Dave Peterson

Is there a reason you copy to a different worksheet?

And if you could pick out a column that always has data on it if that row is
used, maybe you could just apply data|Filter|autofilter to that column. Then
filter to show the blanks and delete the visible rows. Then remove the filter.

This can have trouble under some circumstances. I'd do the the same thing as
you but using the original worksheet--with one additional step. I'd convert
that formula that returns "blank row" to values before I sorted.

The fewer formulas, the faster things work.

dee wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
dee

Hi and thanks for your response.

It is done on another sheet as it must then be uploaded into another system
that will input pricing automatically and it must be formatted in a specific
fashion. It then must be put back into the original worksheet and made to
look exactly as it was received before sending back to the client.

I like the extra idea of removing the formulas. Thanks - I will implement
it. Any other suggestions are welcome.

--
Thanks!

Dee