Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Count cells w/values in column if the data in column a matches cri

I need a formula that counts the number of cell that contain data in column B
as long as the corresponding cell in column A matches a given criteria.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Try this:

=SUMPRODUCT((A1:A100=D1)*(B1:B100<""))

where D1 contains the criteria.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Jan 11, 8:29*pm, mdcgpw wrote:
I need a formula that counts the number of cell that contain data in column B
as long as the corresponding cell in column A matches a given criteria.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

=SUMPRODUCT(--(A:A=C1),--(B:B<""))

Here the criteria is in C1.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"mdcgpw" wrote:

I need a formula that counts the number of cell that contain data in column B
as long as the corresponding cell in column A matches a given criteria.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

That will only work in XL2007 (earlier versions need delimited column ranges
for its arrays). I think I would use delimited ranges even in XL2007
however... not sure how efficient it would be to let array calculations
extend across one million plus rows.

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"Shane Devenshire" wrote in
message ...
Hi,

=SUMPRODUCT(--(A:A=C1),--(B:B<""))

Here the criteria is in C1.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"mdcgpw" wrote:

I need a formula that counts the number of cell that contain data in
column B
as long as the corresponding cell in column A matches a given criteria.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Count cells w/values in column if the data in column a matches

Thank you, however this is not working. Let me try and give more detail.

I am using excel 2000

Data is stored in one worksheet named Jan, in another workshet I have the
summaries and that is where I need to enter the formula.

Worksheet Jan has column F with sales people initials, and columb O with
sales numbers of accessories. In the summary sheet I need to know: Of all
the sales a sales person had, how many had also accessories sales.

Based on your reply, I tried the following, but am getting an error.

I appreciate the help.................................

Thank you