Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Vlookup based on valid match of mutiple columns

Is there a way to do a vlookup based on a valid match of 2 values on seperate
columns?

Example Data.....
3/12/07 3110 23.23
3/13/07 3110 555.21
3/14/07 3110 46.01

I want to lookup based on a match criteria of 3/13/07 and 3110 and return
the value of 555.21

I know that I could concatenate the 2 columns and do a lookup of the
concatenated column, but I would like to keep the data as it was originally
submitted.

I know it would work that way, but I would like to learn if it could be done
differently without that step.

Thank you in advance for any and all input.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

=SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A100=--"3/13/07"),--(B1:B100=3110),C1:C100)

or

=INDEX(C1:C100,MATCH(1,(A1:A100=--"3/13/07")*(B1:B100=3110),0))

The second formula required ctrl+shift+enter, not just enter

"stickandrock" wrote:

Is there a way to do a vlookup based on a valid match of 2 values on seperate
columns?

Example Data.....
3/12/07 3110 23.23
3/13/07 3110 555.21
3/14/07 3110 46.01

I want to lookup based on a match criteria of 3/13/07 and 3110 and return
the value of 555.21

I know that I could concatenate the 2 columns and do a lookup of the
concatenated column, but I would like to keep the data as it was originally
submitted.

I know it would work that way, but I would like to learn if it could be done
differently without that step.

Thank you in advance for any and all input.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Not sure why I would do a multiplication operation when I am trying to
retrieve the value of a different column in that same row.

I will try it though....

It does work, Thanks!

Just seems to be a little misleading to read.

"stickandrock" wrote:

Is there a way to do a vlookup based on a valid match of 2 values on seperate
columns?

Example Data.....
3/12/07 3110 23.23
3/13/07 3110 555.21
3/14/07 3110 46.01

I want to lookup based on a match criteria of 3/13/07 and 3110 and return
the value of 555.21

I know that I could concatenate the 2 columns and do a lookup of the
concatenated column, but I would like to keep the data as it was originally
submitted.

I know it would work that way, but I would like to learn if it could be done
differently without that step.

Thank you in advance for any and all input.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

See here for an explanation of the -- and how multiplication is factored into
the logic: http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.SUMPRODUCT.html

Note the page discusses -- and multiplication in the context of the
SUMPRODUCT function, but the same logic holds for the formula

"stickandrock" wrote:

Is there a way to do a vlookup based on a valid match of 2 values on seperate
columns?

Example Data.....
3/12/07 3110 23.23
3/13/07 3110 555.21
3/14/07 3110 46.01

I want to lookup based on a match criteria of 3/13/07 and 3110 and return
the value of 555.21

I know that I could concatenate the 2 columns and do a lookup of the
concatenated column, but I would like to keep the data as it was originally
submitted.

I know it would work that way, but I would like to learn if it could be done
differently without that step.

Thank you in advance for any and all input.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

For the multiply symbol read AND, i.e.:

if (A1:A100=--"3/13/07") AND (B1:B100=3110) then use this in the match
function as you cycle through each cell in the range.

Hope this helps.

Pete

"stickandrock" wrote:

Is there a way to do a vlookup based on a valid match of 2 values on seperate
columns?

Example Data.....
3/12/07 3110 23.23
3/13/07 3110 555.21
3/14/07 3110 46.01

I want to lookup based on a match criteria of 3/13/07 and 3110 and return
the value of 555.21

I know that I could concatenate the 2 columns and do a lookup of the
concatenated column, but I would like to keep the data as it was originally
submitted.

I know it would work that way, but I would like to learn if it could be done
differently without that step.

Thank you in advance for any and all input.- Hide quoted text -