Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
VTN VTN is offline

Default Find colored cells in a worksheet

Hi,

I have a worksheet that has data in cells which has also been color coded.
What I would like to do is find a way to search for, say, all of the yellow
cells in the worksheets and sum the numbers in those cells. And then, of
course, do the same for all of the other colors in the worksheet.

I thought I could perhaps use a sumif where the criteria is "if the cell is
shaded yellow" but I don't know how to set that criteria up. Does anyone
have a way to do this?

Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Excel doesn't have a built in way of doing this, however, you can use a macro
to do it: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/colors.htm

Post back if you have questions.

Dave

"VTN" wrote:

Hi,

I have a worksheet that has data in cells which has also been color coded.
What I would like to do is find a way to search for, say, all of the yellow
cells in the worksheets and sum the numbers in those cells. And then, of
course, do the same for all of the other colors in the worksheet.

I thought I could perhaps use a sumif where the criteria is "if the cell is
shaded yellow" but I don't know how to set that criteria up. Does anyone
have a way to do this?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Here is a quick way without VBA or formulas.
Edit Find clear "Find What" Options Format
Choose Format From Cell select sample cell
Find All scroll to end of list, press CTRL+SHIFT
and click on the last entry of the list.
Right click Status Bar and check Sum.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Herbert

That's a very neat trick!
Thanks for sharing with us.

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Herbert Seidenberg" wrote in message
oups.com...
Here is a quick way without VBA or formulas.
Edit Find clear "Find What" Options Format
Choose Format From Cell select sample cell
Find All scroll to end of list, press CTRL+SHIFT
and click on the last entry of the list.
Right click Status Bar and check Sum.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Cannot be done without VBA

See Chip Pearson's site for code.

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/colors.htm

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 8 Feb 2007 12:53:02 -0800, VTN wrote:

Hi,

I have a worksheet that has data in cells which has also been color coded.
What I would like to do is find a way to search for, say, all of the yellow
cells in the worksheets and sum the numbers in those cells. And then, of
course, do the same for all of the other colors in the worksheet.

I thought I could perhaps use a sumif where the criteria is "if the cell is
shaded yellow" but I don't know how to set that criteria up. Does anyone
have a way to do this?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

And one which I continually forget about<g

Gord

On Thu, 8 Feb 2007 22:06:00 -0000, "Roger Govier"
wrote:

Hi Herbert

That's a very neat trick!
Thanks for sharing with us.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
prc prc is offline

Hi VTN!!!!

this stuff u can do it by using the most regular function in excel

procedure for the same:
1) ctrl+F
2) click on "option" OR "Alt+t"
3) click on "Format"
4) select "choose from the cell"(make sure nothing is there in column "find
what"
5)click on"find all"
6) press "ctrl + 1
7) close the "find box"
8) copy the selected records & paste it into the required excel sheet.
6)various links will be displayed below the find box, click on any of the link
7)