Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Dependent drop-down list??

I am using a drop-down list for data validation in a column. Can I make the
drop-down list in another column dependent on the contents of the first
column?

Example:

Col A has a list defined:

Fruit
Vegetable

If the user selects fruit, then in Column B the list is:

Apple
pear

If the user selects Vegetable, then the column B list is:

Peas
Carrots

thanks
John

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

This is great! I think this is on the right track... One 'small' follow
question.

This procedure is based on simple entries in the first list able to match a
list name for the second column. How can this be modified if the actual cell
entry is more complicated such as:

Col A list:
IP3list
Bad or missing patch/update
Configuration Issue

Col B lists:
IP4list1
Patch had been flagged bad
Patch had not been flagged bad

IP4list2
Command line interface - Documentation
Command line interface too complex
Configuration too complex
GUI clumsy/slow
GUI missing options
GUI not intuitive
User training

John

"DocBrown" wrote in message
I am using a drop-down list for data validation in a column. Can I make

the
drop-down list in another column dependent on the contents of the first
column?

Example:

Col A has a list defined:

Fruit
Vegetable

If the user selects fruit, then in Column B the list is:

Apple
pear

If the user selects Vegetable, then the column B list is:

Peas
Carrots

thanks
John

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I read the page a little closer and saw how to do this. It works GREAT!

It the option on the page with the =INDIRECT(VLOOKUP.... formula.

Thanks a bunch for the pointer.

John

"DocBrown" wrote in message
I am using a drop-down list for data validation in a column. Can I make

the
drop-down list in another column dependent on the contents of the first
column?

Example:

Col A has a list defined:

Fruit
Vegetable

If the user selects fruit, then in Column B the list is:

Apple
pear

If the user selects Vegetable, then the column B list is:

Peas
Carrots

thanks
John

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Appreciate the feed-back.

RD

"Ragdyer" wrote:

Check out this page from Debra Dalgleish's web site:

HTH,

RD

Please keep all correspondence within the NewsGroup, so all may benefit
!