Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
RhysPieces

Default Block Protect

I want to protect a block of cells on a worksheet of a shared workbook. How
to do this without protecting the entire sheet? If not, I will protect whole
'sheet.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
R. Choate

Protect the sheet but then unprotect all of the cells (within a reasonable range) other than the cells you want protected. You have
to protect the sheet to activate protection, but then you can protect or unprotect ranges within the sheet. I mentioned unprotecting
a reasonable range because oftentimes, if you do anything that includes all of the columns to # 256 and all of the rows down to
65,000 (approx.), then you can unintentionally get file size bloat. So just unprotect the area where people might actually do
something and ignore the excess area that nobody will touch anyway.

HTH
--
RMC,CPA

"RhysPieces" wrote in message ...
I want to protect a block of cells on a worksheet of a shared workbook. How
to do this without protecting the entire sheet? If not, I will protect whole
'sheet.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
RhysPieces

OK, the whole sheet is protected. How do I select a specific range to
unprotect it or allow limited editing depending on the rules I establish
while keeping certain cells protected from any changes?

"R. Choate" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Peo Sjoblom

Unprotect it, select the range you want to allow editing in, do
formatcellsprotection and de-select locked, then protect the sheet

Peo Sjoblom

http://nwexcelsolutions.com