Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How to change data validation values based on different passwords

Dear Excel community

I have a problem to resolve asap. I have prepared an excel business case with certain cells having data validation lists. Say I have 12 values in the Validation List picked from a source, but all values are not meant for everyone. I need to create three different users with their respective passwords. First user should be able to see only first 5 values of the list (e.g.) and should be able to select only out of these values. The aecond user should see values 6-9, e.g. and so on.

Appreciate community's kind support.

Cheers
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Dear Excel community

I have a problem to resolve asap. I have prepared an excel business case with
certain cells having data validation lists. Say I have 12 values in the
Validation List picked from a source, but all values are not meant for
everyone. I need to create three different users with their respective
passwords. First user should be able to see only first 5 values of the list
(e.g.) and should be able to select only out of these values. The aecond user
should see values 6-9, e.g. and so on.

Appreciate community's kind support.

Cheers

Use a different sheet for each user and require user-login to use their sheet.
Hide the sheet containing the DV Lists (1 list per user-specific access).

-OR-

Use a login sheet with the respective DV Lists hidden in top rows OR left
columns. This will serve as a 'Splash' panel where users can enter their
credentials to display their sheet.

Optionally, have 1 user-sheet with the DV List and have code edit the DV
dropdowns to match user login credentials.

May seem like a lot of work but (IMO) if it's a reusable business solution that
gets repeated often it's worth designing well; - never had a client who didn't
appreciate a well designed solution!

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Sunday, 2 June 2019 20:22:53 UTC+3, GS wrote:
[...]

Many thanks GS and appreciate your time for the post. I prefer login sheet or user-sheet with DV list edited with codes. Unfortunately i am a basic excel user and do not know how to write codes. I would truly appreciate if you could help me with a sample code.

Cheers
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Download the sample XLS:

https://app.box.com/s/w73vj1bf01dorv65q7fjvwbcttpos124