Jason

Default Can I create and save a formula for text fields?

I have a text field that has "Lastname, Firstname" and I would like to create
a second field that just shows the first name. Since I have a lot of names in
this format, I was thinking that I could create some kind of text formula in
Excel that would equal the original text field and delete everything up to
the comma. Can Excel do this using wildcards? Any suggestions?
Bill Kuunders

Highlight the cells and
go to <data<text to columns
step one .........delimited
step two ..........comma
step three .......select where to place the split columns

--
Greetings from New Zealand
Bill K

"Jason" wrote in message
I have a text field that has "Lastname, Firstname" and I would like to
create
a second field that just shows the first name. Since I have a lot of names
in
this format, I was thinking that I could create some kind of text formula
in
Excel that would equal the original text field and delete everything up to
the comma. Can Excel do this using wildcards? Any suggestions?

Earl Kiosterud

Jason,

=LEFT(A2,FIND(",",A2)-1)

If some of your entries don't have a comma, it'll error out. If that's a
possibilty, use:

=LEFT(A2,IF(ISERROR(FIND(",",A2)),LEN(A2),FIND("," ,A2)-1))
--
Earl Kiosterud
www.smokeylake.com/