Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Import data from one file to another

I have a daunting task of migrating data from old spreadsheets to a new
style. These are attendance records. I'm doing this now by hand, but there's
gotta be a way to automate it. Problem is, while I know Excel quite well, I
don't know macros or VB at all. And the old data is presented very
differently from the new. For example:

An old spreadsheet is a simple list with four columns: Last Name, First
Name, Shift, Date. The new spreadsheets are in a table format, and are much
more advanced. There is a single column for Name, and there are 31 columns
for days where either the AM or the PM shift is entered (P or M), which then
gets counted in the Totals column, and other operations.

Is there any way to ease my work? :)
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I'm not sure how to ease most of it but you can at least use the concatenate
function to combine the names. Where A1 is the last name and B1 is the first
name. =concatenate(a1," ",b1) You can switch the order and/or place a comma
or some other seperator in the parenthesis if you want. That should at least
make your first column simpler... Sorry I'm not more help...

mike b