Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Folder/Directory listings saved in Excel?

Is it possible to save (to a file) a listing of the contents of a folder or
directory? This would be useful for comparing names of files in say two
different folders. It would also be good to save other attributes for the
files - not just the names. I know there are non-MS downloads available to do
this, but I'd rather have a MS-approved way of doing it. Surely some VB guru
can come up with a little program to do this?

I have a folder of files (.html). My users were to provide me a file of jpgs
- 1 jpg per html. I know I have jpgs without htmls, and htmls wiithout jpgs.
I know I could add the lot into one folder and sort on filename, and see
where I don't have a pair, but I have many files and folders, and I'd feel
better if I could do this in Excel, especially as I could show the users a
report of what is missing.

Thanks in advance to any Excel genuises out there

P O'M
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Several methods to accomplish this.......I like Tushar's best if importing
to Excel.

To add a "Print Directory" feature to Explorer, go to
this KB Article.

http://support.microsoft.com/default...EN-US;q272623&

Or you can download Printfolder 1.2 from.....

http://no-nonsense-software.com/freeware/

I use PF 1.2 and find it to be more than adequate with custom
features.

OR Go to DOS(Command) prompt and directory.
Type DIR MYFILES.TXT

All the above create a *.TXT file which can be opened in Notepad or
Excel.

One more method if you want to by-pass the *.TXT file and pull
directly to Excel is to use Tushar Mehta's Excel Add-in. This allows
filtering and sorting once you have the data in Excel.

http://www.tushar-mehta.com/ scroll down to Add-insDirectory
Listing.

Download the ZIP file and un-zip to your Office\Library folder.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP