Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default In-Cell Instructions

I want to have 'in-cell' instructions (i.e. "Enter Length Here"). I want the
instructions to be in a light grey, and when the user enters their data (into
the same cell as the instructions), the number is in black. How to I get the
cell to automatically change colors from grey to black when a user enters
data?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

Use conditional formatting.

Select the cell then
Format|Conditional format - Cell Value is- 'Equal to'
In the input box enter your text prompt
Click format and select a light grey colour for the font - OK

Mike

"mckillmt" wrote:

I want to have 'in-cell' instructions (i.e. "Enter Length Here"). I want the
instructions to be in a light grey, and when the user enters their data (into
the same cell as the instructions), the number is in black. How to I get the
cell to automatically change colors from grey to black when a user enters
data?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You have two easy options:

1. Insert a Comment in the cell. The comment will appear wheneven a
mouse-over occurs

2. Insert a Data Validation message in the cell. The message will appear
whenever the cell is clicked.
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200859

"mckillmt" wrote:

I want to have 'in-cell' instructions (i.e. "Enter Length Here"). I want the
instructions to be in a light grey, and when the user enters their data (into
the same cell as the instructions), the number is in black. How to I get the
cell to automatically change colors from grey to black when a user enters
data?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The attached link describes doing exactly what you have asked but it is a bit
fussy to do...

http://spreadsheetpage.com/index.php...e_camera_tool/

Alternatively you can look at using conditional fomrats and data validation
to highlight the cells necessary to be input and validation to give
instructions.

My personal preference is to use colour to denote meaning. All of the cells
that I expect the user to use are left white. Everything else is coloured (in
subdued shades) to organize the page into logical groupings.
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"mckillmt" wrote:

I want to have 'in-cell' instructions (i.e. "Enter Length Here"). I want the
instructions to be in a light grey, and when the user enters their data (into
the same cell as the instructions), the number is in black. How to I get the
cell to automatically change colors from grey to black when a user enters
data?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Wednesday, July 22, 2009 at 9:46:02 PM UTC+5:30, mckillmt wrote:
I want to have 'in-cell' instructions (i.e. "Enter Length Here"). I want the
instructions to be in a light grey, and when the user enters their data (into
the same cell as the instructions), the number is in black. How to I get the
cell to automatically change colors from grey to black when a user enters
data?

Hey Try using this script:

function format_1() {
var sheet = SpreadsheetApp.getActiveSpreadsheet().getSheetByNa me("Sheet1");
var range = sheet.getRange("C20:H20");
if (range.isBlank()) {
range.setValue("Enter Length Here").setFontColor("grey");
}
}
function onEdit(e){
var range = e.range;
if(range.getRow() == 20 && range.getColumn() = 3 && range.getColumn() <= 8){
var value = range.getValue();
if(range.isBlank()){
range.setValue("Enter Length Here").setFontColor("grey");
}
else if(!range.isBlank() && range.getValue() != "Enter Length Here"){
range.setFontColor("black");
}
}
}