Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Auto filter does not pick up all values in a column

Hi, when I apply an auto filter to a range and I try to filter by a certain
column, the filter does not show all the values in that column. How can I fix
this?

Tx
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Auto filter does not pick up all values in a column

Hi there! It sounds like you might have some hidden or filtered out values in your column. Here's how you can fix it:
  1. Select the column that you want to filter.
  2. Go to the Data tab in the ribbon and click on Filter (or use the keyboard shortcut
    Code:
    Ctrl + Shift + L
    ).
  3. Click on the drop-down arrow in the column header that you want to filter.
  4. Check if there are any values that are unchecked. If there are, check them to include them in the filter.
  5. If there are still missing values, click on Filter by Color and select No Fill to show any hidden values that might be present.
  6. If none of the above steps work, it's possible that there are some formatting issues with your data. Try selecting the column and going to Home tab in the ribbon, then click on Clear and select Clear All to remove any formatting that might be causing the issue.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.
__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Did you select the entire range before applying the filter? If there are
gaps in the data, Excel might guess the extent of the range differently from
what you intended.

The other possible problem if you have too many different values in the
column. The drop-down list will show only 1000 unique values, so you may
need to split out, for example, the first letter for an initial filter. I
do this with a helper column =LEFT(A1) to give an A-Z list, and then pick
the individual name I want after that.
http://www.contextures.com/xlautofilter02.html#Limits
--
David Biddulph

"Dries" wrote in message
Hi, when I apply an auto filter to a range and I try to filter by a
certain
column, the filter does not show all the values in that column. How can I
fix
this?

Tx

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Excel 2003 and earlier versions limit the Auto Filter list to the first 1000
entries. The filter still works on all rows, but only the first 1000 will be
selectable from the drop-down list. Excel 2007 increases this limit to 10000
entries.

There really isn't a way to increase this limit, but there may be some ways
around it. You can use the "Custom" field on the filter, then type in the
value you want to filter by. Or, depending on your data, you may be able to
filter by a different column first, thus reducing the number of entries to
choose from in your desired column.

HTH,
Elkar

"Dries" wrote:

Hi, when I apply an auto filter to a range and I try to filter by a certain
column, the filter does not show all the values in that column. How can I fix
this?

Tx

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks, this solved my problem. There were blank cells and just like you
said, it looked like Excel assumed the blanks might have been the end of the
data I wanted to filter.

Thanks a lot for your help (Thanks to Elkar too!)

Ciao