Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default File Format Converter

I have installed the file format converter application on top of MS Office XP
to be able to read MS Office 2007 files. When I open an Excel 2007 file, the
file name is changed and it opens as "Read Only", though the file was not
read only initially. This does not happen when I open MS Word 2007 files.
Does anyone know a way to avoid this from happening? Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

This appears to happen when the file you've opened has some attribute that
saving in Excel 2003 would not preserve, like data beyond column IV. Of
course it would probably be something different in your case. I think you
can find out what it is by trying to save the workbook in Excel 97-2003
format in Excel 2007. A warning about what would be lost should pop up.

--
Jim
"Hugh" wrote in message
|I have installed the file format converter application on top of MS Office
XP
| to be able to read MS Office 2007 files. When I open an Excel 2007 file,
the
| file name is changed and it opens as "Read Only", though the file was not
| read only initially. This does not happen when I open MS Word 2007 files.
| Does anyone know a way to avoid this from happening? Thanks.

Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
I have installed the file format converter application on top of MS Office XP
to be able to read MS Office 2007 files. When I open an Excel 2007 file, the
file name is changed and it opens as "Read Only", though the file was not
read only initially. This does not happen when I open MS Word 2007 files.
Does anyone know a way to avoid this from happening? Thanks.
Hi there,

just wanted to let you know that I released a new version of the add-
in that enables saving a DBF file in Excel 2007.

New features:

1. Now you can add/insert new fields, create calculated fields in
addition to adding new records or editing existing records in your
native DBF file!

2. If you start with an Excel file the software now have enhanced
capabilities to determine the field types (better than Microsoft's own
in earlier Excel versions).

3. The add-in checks DBase field naming conventions and also
identifies duplicate fields. All problem field names are visually
identified with a cell comment!

4. If you start out with a brand new file and forget to save it, the
add-in will ask before the conversion.

5. Large files are supported. I edited files over 500,000 records with
no problem.

See the post at http://thexlwiz.blogspot.com/.

Gyula
Senior Member

Location: Hyderabad
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
I have installed the file format converter application on top of MS Office XP
to be able to read MS Office 2007 files. When I open an Excel 2007 file, the
file name is changed and it opens as "Read Only", though the file was not
read only initially. This does not happen when I open MS Word 2007 files.
Does anyone know a way to avoid this from happening? Thanks.
This happens whenever your cache exceeds the limit and not allowing to create ".tmp" properly in the temporary files. Try to delete the cache by
Start-Run-%temp%-delete temporary files and restart the system.

all the best
Thanks
Bala
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala_vb View Post
This happens whenever your cache exceeds the limit and not allowing to create ".tmp" properly in the temporary files. Try to delete the cache by
Start-Run-%temp%-delete temporary files and restart the system.

all the best
Thank you, this is good news for new visitors.