Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How do I write an Excel formula for Delta E difference between col

I work for a commercial print company and my boss wants me to create a
spreadsheet for reading color data off of press sheets. I need to write a
formula for the DeltaE difference between two colors that are measured in
L*ab. The formula for finding DeltaE is (L1-L2) squared, + (a1-a2)squared,
+(b1-b2)squared; then finding the square root of the total. I just can't
figure out how to use the SUMSQ and SQRT formulas (I'm fairly new to Excel).
Is there anyone out there that can help.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

=sqrt((l1-l2)^2+(a1-a2)^2+(b1-b2)^2)

Note you don't need SUM here. Each of the values being squared will sum
without the SUM function because you have the + symbols telling XL to sum.

Dave

"dragon_girl411" wrote:

I work for a commercial print company and my boss wants me to create a
spreadsheet for reading color data off of press sheets. I need to write a
formula for the DeltaE difference between two colors that are measured in
L*ab. The formula for finding DeltaE is (L1-L2) squared, + (a1-a2)squared,
+(b1-b2)squared; then finding the square root of the total. I just can't
figure out how to use the SUMSQ and SQRT formulas (I'm fairly new to Excel).
Is there anyone out there that can help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Doesn't that produce the same result as the formula I give?

Dave

"Toppers" wrote:

=SQRT(SUMSQ(L1-L2,A1-A2,C1-C2))

"dragon_girl411" wrote:

I work for a commercial print company and my boss wants me to create a
spreadsheet for reading color data off of press sheets. I need to write a
formula for the DeltaE difference between two colors that are measured in
L*ab. The formula for finding DeltaE is (L1-L2) squared, + (a1-a2)squared,
+(b1-b2)squared; then finding the square root of the total. I just can't
figure out how to use the SUMSQ and SQRT formulas (I'm fairly new to Excel).
Is there anyone out there that can help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

YES! ... just a different solution based on functions the OP mentioned.

"Dave F" wrote:

Doesn't that produce the same result as the formula I give?

Dave

"Toppers" wrote:

=SQRT(SUMSQ(L1-L2,A1-A2,C1-C2))

"dragon_girl411" wrote:

I work for a commercial print company and my boss wants me to create a
spreadsheet for reading color data off of press sheets. I need to write a
formula for the DeltaE difference between two colors that are measured in
L*ab. The formula for finding DeltaE is (L1-L2) squared, + (a1-a2)squared,
+(b1-b2)squared; then finding the square root of the total. I just can't
figure out how to use the SUMSQ and SQRT formulas (I'm fairly new to Excel).
Is there anyone out there that can help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Ah, got it.

"Dave F" wrote:

Doesn't that produce the same result as the formula I give?

Dave

"Toppers" wrote:

=SQRT(SUMSQ(L1-L2,A1-A2,C1-C2))

"dragon_girl411" wrote:

I work for a commercial print company and my boss wants me to create a
spreadsheet for reading color data off of press sheets. I need to write a
formula for the DeltaE difference between two colors that are measured in
L*ab. The formula for finding DeltaE is (L1-L2) squared, + (a1-a2)squared,
+(b1-b2)squared; then finding the square root of the total. I just can't
figure out how to use the SUMSQ and SQRT formulas (I'm fairly new to Excel).
Is there anyone out there that can help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Put your Standards in three cells for example cell A1 has the standaerd L.
cell A2 has the standard a. and cell A3 has the standard b. Now put your
color smaple you want to compare to L. in cell B1, a. in cell B2 and the b.
in cell B3. The formula will read
=(((A2-A1)*(A2-A1))+((B2-B1)*(B2-B1))+((C2-C1)*(C2-C1)))^(1/2)