Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Display order of Bar Chart

How do I get a bar chart to display my data in the order I created it rather
then in a sort ascending or descending order. I created my vertical axis
categories in the exact order I want the bar chart to display the data
however, when the chart is created is rearranged into ascending order of the
data not in the order of the categories as I developed it.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

That is not how Excel behaves; when the data is in rows, the first category
of the first row is at the bottom of the bar chart and so on, regardless of
the y-values
best wishes

--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Bar Chart Vertical Display Order" <Bar Chart Vertical Display
wrote in message
How do I get a bar chart to display my data in the order I created it
rather
then in a sort ascending or descending order. I created my vertical axis
categories in the exact order I want the bar chart to display the data
however, when the chart is created is rearranged into ascending order of
the
data not in the order of the categories as I developed it.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Your description is rather confusing. Do you mean you created them from the
top down, but they are plotted from the bottom up?

Axes start counting where they meet each other. In an XY chart, the point of
intersection of the axis is X=0, Y=0. The numbers increase in value as you
move away.

The bar chart uses a category axis, so it isn't counting numerically, but it
is counting the labels. The first label is next to the other axis, so it's
at the bottom. The second is one slot further away, and so forth.

You can change this by formatting the axis, check Plot Categories in Reverse
Order, and to keep the other axis at the bottom, check Value Axis Crosses at
Maximum Category.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP